
Charges over £3 million worth of illicit cigarettes
A MAN has appeared in court accused of being involved in smuggling £3 million worth of illicit cigarettes. Daniel Thomas Ruddy faces three charges under the Customs and Excise Act following an HMRC seizure last May.
He is further accused of converting criminal property, namely money, on dates between May 27 and 30 last year.
A prosecution lawyer told Belfast magistrates court on Saturday the 35-year-old was resident in the Republic of Ireland and that his proposed bail address in Carlingford was outside the jurisdiction.
Ruddy’s lawyer said that co-accused in the case had been allowed to sign bail at police stations in Northern Ireland while living in the Republic. He added that their bail conditions had been further relaxed due to Covid-19 restrictions and that Ruddy’s wife was heavily pregnant.
Related Posts
Illicit cigarettes worth R22m intercepted on truck heading to Cape Town
Two suspects were arrested when police intercepted a truck transporting illicit...
Jail terms for substandard products fakers
The proliferation of substandard products in the country has continued to...
Fake cigarettes from Malaysia flood Kerala market; Rs 25000 worth cigarettes seized in Malappuram.
Nilambur: Fake cigarettes were seized from various shops in Nilambur during a...
Nigeria: Persons With Disabilities Seek Renewed Fight Against Counterfeiting
APART from the absence of key government agencies and speakers at the event,...