
P4B duties, 1M jobs lost due to pork meat smuggling—agri group
The SamahangIndustriya ng Agrikultura (Sinag), a leading agricultural group in the country, on Tuesday said the Philippine government lost around P4-billion in revenues in 2013 and almost a million Filipinos dependent on hog raising lost their livelihood in the last four years due to outright and technical smuggling of pork meat. Sinag said data from the Bureau of Animal Industry (BAI) indicate that 199 million kilos of pork were imported last year. However, a United Nations Commodity Trade Division (UN ComTrade) report of countries that exported pork meat to the Philippines showed pork importation at 237 million kilos –a difference of 38 million kilos that are presumed smuggled to the country.
Related Posts
24 nabbed in Kapurthala, drugs, illicit liquor seized
Kapurthala: During a cordon and search operation (CASO) carried out by the...
Foreign currencies, electronic goods seized at Chennai airport; 3 held
Chennai, Apr 22 (PTI): Foreign currencies equivalent to Rs 1.95 crore, gold...
Six individuals and two companies accused of smuggling tobacco
Five individuals appeared today at the Montréal courthouse to face charges of...
Mizoram: Drugs, cigarettes worth over Rs 5 crore seized from Champhai district.
In a major victoy in the war against drugs and smuggling, drugs and cigarettes...