Gucci wins $144 million in US counterfeit trial
New York City — Gucci on Thursday welcomed a US court’s decision to award the global fashion empire $144.2 million in damages from online sellers of counterfeit merchandise. A list of 155 domain names, sued for selling and promoting counterfeit Gucci merchandise, were ordered to shut down or surrender to Gucci within 30 days. Gucci filed the lawsuit earlier this year, accusing the online sellers of counterfeiting and cybersquatting. The court on Wednesday ruled in Gucci’s favor. The websites copied Gucci campaign advertisements, logos, product images and descriptions from official websites, and many also used Gucci in their domain name. The sites were registered in Britain, Canada, the Cocos Islands, France, Italy, Japan and the United States. Gucci president and CEO Patrizio di Marco welcomed the judgment and said the company would continue to fight against counterfeiting across the globe. The websites exploited “Gucci’s unique creativity which has been harmful to Gucci?s image, business and well-known trademark reputation for creating high quality artisanal ‘Made in Italy’ products,” the firm said.
Related Posts
MarkMonitor Annual Spring Symposium: Swarovski says catching ‘big fish’ counterfeiters is crucial
A lawyer at jewellery company Swarovski has said catching counterfeiters who...
Alibaba Chairman Jack Ma meets Chinese regulator over fight against fake products
The head of China’s commerce regulator met with Alibaba chairman Jack Ma on...
Philippines wages war on crooked customs agents
MANILA, September 3, 2014 (AFP) - Standing near mountains of goods destined to be...
Going to shop with askmebazaar.com? Beware of fake products!
E-commerce websites in India are on boom as consumers are gradually relying on...